Circle is located at 65°50'4" North, 144°4'35" West (65.834464, -144.076392)
The community was established in 1893 as an unloading point for supplies shipped up the Yukon River from the Bering Sea. The goods were sent overland to gold mining camps. In 1896, before the Klondike Gold Rush, Circle was the largest mining town on the Yukon River, with a population of 700. It had a store, a few dance halls, an opera house, a library, a school, a hospital, an Episcopal church, a newspaper, a United States commissioner, marshal, customs inspector, tax collector and a postmaster. Circle lost much of its population after gold discoveries in the Klondike, in 1897, and Nome, in 1899. A few miners stayed near Circle and mining in the area continues to the present. Most of the people in Circle today are Athabascan.
As of the census of 2000, there are
The population density is 0.4/km² (0.9/mi²). There are 42 housing units at an average density of 0.2/km² (0.4/mi²).